This Sweet DIY Lip Balm Recipe Is Worthy of a Kiss
This time of year is prime time for chapped lips — you know those dried-out kissers are just dying to be smothered in moisture. As we see it, you really have three choices.
- First, you could just leave them be (but honestly, who really wants to have white, dry, flaky lips?).
- You could opt for one of those little plastic disposable tubes that are oh-so-hard to recycle.
- You could create this simple, natural DIY lip balm at home. No waiting in line at the store or recycling guilt over little plastic tubes required!
DIY Lip Balm
Watch the video for an quick demo of this easy-to-make lip balm.
DIY Lip Balm Ingredients
Only four natural ingredients required. And the peppermint oil is optional.
When finished, you’ll pour your finished balm into a container of your choice. As you see in the video, we repurposed a small empty tin. A small glass jar or other small, sturdy container works just as well. We recommend repurposing a container you already have, rather than purchasing new, if possible.
TIP: Because the mixture is a hot liquid when you pour it into the container, be sure your container can accommodate the heat and won’t leak the liquid before it hardens.
DIY Lip Balm Instructions
The instructions are as simple as the ingredient list.
- Place the beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil into a glass bowl and heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes (on high). Pause the heating every 30 seconds to give it a quick stir.
- Add 15-20 drops of peppermint essential oil (if desired) to the mixture and stir.
- Pour (carefully) the mixture into your container of choice.
- Let sit for 1 hour to cool and congeal.
Pucker up Earthlings! No longer will your lips cry out for TLC. And the best part: You know exactly what you’re putting on your lips.
Also, don’t forget to check out all of our other DIY ideas aimed at reducing waste and increasing savings.
This article was originally published on January 19, 2016.